Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Repurposed or up-cycled things

I like to re-use things whenever I can or if a creative idea comes to mind. Just a few things I can find that aren't packed up yet. (We're moving in less than a week! Yay!). 
I had quite a few Yankee Candle jars I wanted to re-use and here are some things I have put them to use for:

I cleaned the jars out and washed them. I put q-tips and cotton balls in a couple. The others are being used for other bathroom items...razors, kids toothbrushes and toothpaste, tweezers, nails clippers... 

Next:
I have a really small apartment kitchen and don't have a lot of space for things. So for some of the the kitchen utensils I used an empty Nesquick (bunny milk in our house) container. Cleaned it out before use. Now it sits on top of the microwave right by the stove for covienence.

Starbucks love:
I'm really not a huge Starbucks drinker but on occasion is always nice. I like the mocha frappuccino's from Starbucks and on occasion I'll buy the cold frappe drinks at the store. The bottles are so fun and I also wanted to re-use them. So I made them into a soap and lotion dispenser.

I hammered a nail through the lid and used needle nose pliers to make the hole bigger, big enough to fit the soap pump. You can use any soap pump just make sure it's long enough to reach the bottom of the bottle. 

I used a Bath and Body Works soap pump, the soap was on sale and an Aveeno lotion pump for the Starbucks lotion bottle. Then hot glued it in place and filled with my BBW soap. I added some decals I found at Walmart on the lotion bottle.
I made a soap dispenser out of a honey bear jar too. It was a little tricky cutting the hole in the lid for the pump though. His nose and eyes were a bit rubbed off so I added some puffy paint and filled them in. The BBW pump is a little big for him.

Cell phone chargers:
When they aren't in use they sit on the counter and take up space and it drives me crazy. I saw a idea on Pinterest, she used a baby lotion bottle, http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2011/12/holder-for-charging-cell-phone-made-from-lotion-bottle.html. You can use whatever container works best for you. I used the puffs baby food container. Cut it to the size I wanted and cut a hole so I could screw the container to the outlet to clear counter space. I added some scrapbook paper for some visual interest.


No comments:

Post a Comment