Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Growth chart

Inspiration found here: http://adventuresindecoratinganddesign.blogspot.ca/2012/01/ruler-growth-chart.html


I love this growth chart and it was was fairly inexpensive to make! I figured since my boys are getting older, now would be the time to finally get a project done that I have already put off too long. For the years I didn't get to measure my kiddos I realized I could just get a print out of their height/growth from the pediatrician.

I didn't have any supplies so I ran out to Home Depot and got almost everything I needed. I think the total cost was around $28. 

Supplies needed:
A 6 foot 10"x1" or 8"x1" board
Large numbers in different fonts.
Smaller numbers for the ruler part.
Stain
Clear Sealer
Paint pen
Pen
Picture wire
 
I sanded down the board a bit before I started with the numbers. I can't remember what font I used but I loved the numbers on the inspiration growth chart and wanted something similar. I traced the numbers onto lined paper and traced them onto the board as shown in the link above. I used the color English chestnut for the stain but you can use any color you prefer. I used a paint marker found in the Walmart craft section for the line marks and the black numbers. To stencil the numbers with the stain view the link above for a detailed tutorial.

realized when I finished mine I placed the black numbers vertically instead of horizontally. I was going for over sized ruler look but I'm still happy with the way it turned out. Don't mind my little guys art work on the sliding door. We were having fun with window crayons. The screen to the sliding door needs a bit of maintenance and please excuse the ugly balcony. Our maintenance men aren't too handy at our apartment complex.

I used the picture hanger teeth (I don't know what the actual name is for them) but it didn't last for long. My oldest son thinks the numbers are pretty cool and he would play with the board and the picture teeth eventualIy came off. So I ended up buying some picture wire I found at Walmart that came in a little kit for a couple bucks. Very easy to do and I haven't had any problems with it staying on the wall.

I found a spot in the hallway to hang it and it works perfect in this spot. I love the idea of hanging the kids picture next to the chart like pictured in the blog but I don't have much space for that but we'll be moving soon and it will soon be on a new wall. 


No comments:

Post a Comment