Saturday, October 12, 2013

Chevron crate shelf-DIY

have been using a computer desk for a tv stand for years and have been ready for an update for quite some time but the budget doesn't allow. I wanted something unique and fun. Browsing through Pinterest for inspiration, these crates kept catching my eye. You can purchase them from Michaels and Joann craft stores. 
It was a slow process as I bought them individually and waited until I had 40% or 50% off coupons. I bought one of them online with free shipping at $8.99. Originally I wanted to use 9 crates and stack them 3x3 but I got impatient waiting for more coupons and my paycheck so I opted for this but I love the look! I wanted some storage for controllers, remotes, cords... So when I saw the crate with drawers I got excited šŸ˜€
I had to choose a fun color! Blue is one of my favorites colors, I chose blue ocean breeze in a matte finish. I thought spray paint would be easy but let's just say I suck at spray painting! I used one can for one crate. I ended up having Walmart match the spray paint color and I bought a quart. Out to the balcony I went and started painting. It got dark and I had to bring everything inside and finish the next day. After each piece was painted and dry I applied a couple coats of sealant/protectant.
I guess I didn't really think the whole project through, I just had the finished project image in my head. Once I got the drawers and crates painted it was time to finally put it together. I bought 1/2 inch and 1 1/2 inch screws and my husband put them all together. He thought we should get a board for the top to make it more sturdy. I wanted to add some legs and chose these:


We tried screwing the legs in and decided we needed a base to add stability. The screws that were attached to the legs weren't long enough so we purchased some long screws so we could add the legs. 
 I had the top board cut at Lowes to the size of 11x37 and the bottom board 14x40. I'm loving the chevron trend right now and wanted to add a little pop to the shelf. I used Apple Barrel craft paint Antique Parchment color and brushed it on. I made a chevron stencil and traced it onto the drawers and boards and began painting. 
I added some hardware to the drawers that I purchased from Lowes. 
Multiple trips to the craft store, Walmart and Lowes to complete the project and here's the finished project!
I took out a slat on each crate so I could fit cords through if needed for the game systems.
We are in the process of moving so I have my decorations packed now but I would love to get a couple cute baskets for the top crates and some fun seasonal decor for the top šŸ˜€ I was keeping track of how much I was spending but when I had to keep running out for more paint or screws and the top and bottom board I stopped adding up the amounts. I really don't know how much I spent in total except for spending more than I intended to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment